Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot get scanned by Microsoft Window Update 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

curlycord

Programmer
Sep 22, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I have a Linksys Broadband 4 Port Router with XP Home as the server via USB/Satellite and from there out of a NIC to port 1 on the router and 2 PC's in ports 2 and 3 with Win2000 on both of them....everything seems to work ok except the 2 PC's cannot get a scan performed by Windows update yet the server can ( Microsoft says please contact your network admin), I suspect the router is stopping something since the server gets scanned is not accessing the web via the router....any idea's?

Cheers
CC

Well I could not find much help from the mircosoft site but the second link you gave me helped me aquire the error 0x80072EE7 from my update log, I punch that in google and most of it is SUS material seems.
I now know it's not the Router but perhaps the server itself but what?
Will try another forum on this.

Thanks for that second link,put me on the right track....as long as it is : )

Cheers

I had the problem to scan my computer by using Windows Update before. I solved the problem by changing my computer's date and time to the right ones, then it worked for me. Hope this helps.

Hi guys, I just fixed this problem by re-installing Service Pack 4. After the reboot, I was able to get my updates installed. YMMV...

Ben

My date is correct etc however I think I have learned it's perhaps an encryption problem as one windows is using the other to get on line.
This must be related because some login pages do not work and MSN does not work and some pages wont load on the Client PC's yet they all load/work on the server.
These client PC's have no problems when hooked up to the internet on their own.

Thanks for the replies!

Cheers
CC

For the troublesome workstations, you might give my "works 78% if the time fix" a try.

Open a notepad session as IE_fix.cmd and copy and paste the below into the open notepad session:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Msjava.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Browseui.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll

Save the file, then double click IE_fix.cmd and answer the prompts. Ignore any error messages.

Reboot and test again.

I had a problem with one of my PCs after I installed an update. The Windows scan would give me a similiar error code after it failed. I went to the knowledge base and tried a number of things which did not work. Someone posted that he had updated his Windows Messenger SW and it fixed his problem. I do not use Windows Messenger it just sits there running but I got it updated and lo and behold it fixed the problem. Don't ask me why but it worked from that day on...

Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back