Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot get rid of spyware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvsql

Technical User
Apr 3, 2003
CA
I keep getting this message everywhere "Some dangerous viruses detected blah blah, click okay to download antispyware." I have updated my McAfee and Windows Defender with the latest and did a full scan, but they found nothing. How can I get rid of this trojan? Why doesn't windows defender detect it?

You should post this in the antispyware forum.

But...you need to download and run anti-malwarebytes from:

and that should get rid of it. Be sure to update it to the latest version/definitions

JLong

I downloaded that and when I tried to install it, McAfee is deleted the files as it says they are viruses with the downloaded content.

Is this from something calling itself antivirus 2008 or 2009, or anti spyware (or similar), appearing while you are surfing the Net?

If so it is a bogus warning trying to trap you into installing probably dodgy software. Don't click anywhere, on the window, or message box, of any such warning, rather use Task Manager to end the process of any displayed warning window (under Applications). Finally consider avoiding the Internet link that generates such a bogus warning.

I totally didn't follow the link. This error was happening when I went into programs/updates, windows explorer, everywhere. I used Mozilla to browse the internet cuz I just couldn't use IE anymore. After trying 3 different antispyware apps, I did a system restore and finally got rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back