Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot get output to monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danno74

IS-IT--Management
Nov 13, 2002
US
Greetings,

I'm working on a computer for my buddy. He reported that he was getting a "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" message. Bad drive I assumed. (This is the last time anyone is able to get it to work with a monitor)

Got the case over here, plugged it in, could not get anything to output to my VGA monitor. He reported that he was using a HDMI monitor, so I had him bring it over. Still no output. So I try DVI as well, as the card it has includes all 3 connections (GeForce 9800GT 1GB DDR3). Nothing is working. I have power going to the card, fan on it is working fine. 

I reset the CMOS. Nothing. I tried to connect a yellow RCA cable from the onboard connections to the TV I have. Nothing. 

The board is an ASUS A8N32 - SLI Deluxe. Everything on it sounds correct, seems to be running. The drives are initializing, and I can hear what I believe to be the bad HD trying to start up and making some noise like a bad drive does.

Any suggestions? I'm at a loss. I believe I've tried another drive with no luck, I've had about 3 go arounds with it over the past year. So this is my last resort.

Thank you for your time.

- Dan

Strip it down to nothing but the cpu, one stick of memory, and a known good video card, if still no video, replace the cmos battery, clear and try again, if no go, try a different power supply.

check boot order in the BIOS is set to correct order or not.

Decades ago, when the CMOS battery went dead, and hardware detection in the BIOS was more primitive or nonexistent, motherboards would default to sending their startup screens to an assumed terminal over the serial port.

Now, with serial ports mostly gone, I don't know what they would do.
... but it might be worth slapping a serial port adapter onto the USB and hooking it up to a terminal of some sort. Guessing, I'd start at 1200 or 2400 baud.

First, be sure the speaker is connected so you can hear any beep codes, and that any LED outputs are connected to LEDs so you can see any flash codes.

Somewhere I have a power supply monitor card, and a dual 8 segment boot code display card. They were once super handy, but they're both made for the ISA bus...

That board has onboard video. Im assuming you tried it without the video card installed? If not, remove the video card and any other extra cards/connections (as mentioned in rclark's post above) and fire it up. It appears to only have onboard HDMI so have the corresponding monitor on hand.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Does the monitor actually work? Try hooking up another PC to it. Could it be something silly like the brightness level of the monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back