Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot get new graphics card to work 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcLodge

Programmer
Feb 26, 2002
GB
I have an old Dell windows XP machine that has an integrated graphics card that I am attempting to upgrade. The machine has PCI rather than PCI-e slots and so I have bought an ATI Radeon 9250 PCI card off amazon which came with an installation disk. Before installing the card, I attempted to install the driver etc but as the card was not in the system, it wouldn't let me do so. I installed the card and as the BIOS was set to AUTO detect the primary card, it output to the new card and I was able to connect the lead and see both the Windows bootup screens and the windows login screen. I logged in installed the drivers and software ok and rebooted.

The machine then showed the windows bootup screen, but not the login. In order to show this, I had to swap the screen from the new card to the integrated one. The screen is lit when connected to the new card, but no display is shown.

When I look in the device manager, I can see the new card ok, but the ATI catalyst control centre doesn't show it in the drop down list of screens. I've gone to the ATI site and downloaded the most up to date software and drivers to no avail.

What I haven't done is disable the intergrated graphics card in the device manager as I'm concerned that this might shut off my avenue back into the PC. If I disable it, and can't get the other card to work, how do I get back in to enable it again?

One other thing of interest is that when Windows starts up, I hear the bing-bing that I associate with 'found new hardware' but no icon appears to confirm that, and nothing else seems to happen.

Greatful for any advice on what to do next. I'm thinking that it might be that the graphics card is faulty and needs to be returned.

Marc

You can try disabling it in Device Manager - see below about your worries.

I'd isable it in the BIOS - that's your best bet. You will always be able to view the BIOS or if you have to, you can reset the BIOS to defaults via jumper to get back in.

Goombawaho,
The BIOS only has two options, Auto or on-board so I don't think that's an option.

I think the BIOS side of it works, as I get the POST test and Windows XP loading screen displayed out of the new card. It's when it drops into windows (the windows login screen) that it reverts back to the onboard graphics. What I'd like to do is swap the default priority around so that it goes to the new card first.

As I said, I'm worried about disabling the onboard card and then find I can't get back into the system if the new card is not working. Would going into safe mode use the onboard card if it's been disabled? If not, is there any way of enabling it without going into windows?

Marc

Check in your BIOS to see if you can disable the onboard video. If you can't do it in the BIOS, you may need to activate a jumper on your motherboad.
Boot up in safe mode and reinstall the drivers for the new video card.
Reboot in normal mode.

You don't boot to safe mode to INSTALL video card drivers. You might boot to safe mode to REMOVE problematic video drivers.

So, does everybody agree that if I disable the onboard graphics card in device, I might not be able to enable it again if I can't get the other card working? If so, then the way to go is the BIOS or the motherboard?

As I mentioned earlier, I don't think I can do it via the BIOS so may have to look at the motherboard and switches etc. Hopefully I can find some info on the Dell site or the net.

Quit worrying and disable it in Device Manager first and if that doesn't work, do it in the BIOS. You will NOT get locked out completely because there are always ways around the problem.

Safe mode will use your existing graphics card regardless of Device Manager settings so you won't be locked out.

You can always clear cmos, that will set it back to factory defaults. If you are worried that changing it in bios and the video card failing will render the PC useless.

All,
I took your advice and disabled the onboard monitor, and it worked! I have have the new graphics card outputting to the monitor - hurray and many thanks for your help.

But....

The point of all this was to attempt to get a dual monitor set up. The graphics card I have chosen says that it supports this and so I am hopeful. The card has a DVI, VGA and S-video output and I have bought a VGA splitter ( that I have plugged both monitors into and both are working, but displaying the same screen.

In the ATI Radeon Catalyst control centre, it shows both monitors, but one is not enabled. When I attempt to enable i by clicking on it and say 'yes' to 'do you want to enable' it goes from grey briefly, both screens go black, then when they return, the 2nd screen is disabled again.

I'm assuming that when the screens go black, the software is attempting to access the 2nd screen, can't do so, so diables it.

So...... am I doing it correctly, or have I done something monumentally stupid? Can I use the splitter lead I've bought or is that not the way to go.

Sorry, I know this type of thing has been around for years, but I've never tried to set it up, so am flying a little bit in the dark.

Many thanks for your help so far.

Marc

You will always get the exact same picture if you use a splitter, same signal is going to both monitors, the only way around it is to use the vga and the dvi at the same time going to separate monitors.

Wasted money on that splitter then! Shame as I've not read anywhere that that is the case and kind of thought that Windows was clever enough to work it out and extend the desktop to the 2nd monitor. Makes sense though. I think I've got a DVI to VGA converter and will try that method.

Many thanks for your help rclarek250.
Marc

Hmm..... that didn't work either and in fact was worse. When I plugged a monitor into both the DVI and the VGA port on the new graphics card, I got nothing on either screen.

This is strange as I'm sure I've seen adverts for 'dual monitor' graphics cards that have pictures of a splitter, hence me going down that path.

Solved it!

I re-enable the onboard graphics card and plugged one of the monitors into that one, plugged the other into the new card, rebooted and all is well - dual monitors working in tandem.

Thanks for all your help.

Marc

Looks like that model card, will only support 2 different monitors on it, if one is a crt, and the other is lcd or crt, but not 2 lcd's. At least per the manual. And the other way, you figured out, good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back