Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot get ip address with dhcp enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhope

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
US
| just set up a small network 1 server with 2000 server and 5 win98 workstation. Here is the problem, 4 of the five workstations get out to the internet and 1 doesn't.

there is a dsl router and a hub involved and I have not done anything to those as of yet. The router is set to dhcp, and the workstations are set to dhcp. I have get a ip address but it is not anything like the ones the others are getting. At first i thought it was a bad nic so I changed that out, but I still get a ip address different from all the others.

I put that one workstation on another network and it was able to get out to the internet with no problems. That tells me it is with the serve, i think. But why are all the others working and this one isn't.

Do I need to do anything on the server in reguards to setup dhcp. I wouln't think I would sense all computers are getting their ip address from the dsl router.

I disabled dhcp on the server so that it would not give out any ip address, I think. Anyway I went into services and set dhcp to manual.

Thanks

Hi

I had a few problems with DHCP and DSL.
I uninstalled DHCP from the server and set the router as a DHCP server (You need to exclude 2 addresses from your pool, 1 for the ethernet interface of the router, and 1 for the DNS server).
I suspect that the server is supplying your out-of-range address and this is interfering.
I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back