Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot get email from web based to Microsoft Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

msammut

MIS
Jan 6, 2003
CA
Currently have web hosting and email with Netfirms.com (Canada). In order to access my email, I have to go to their website, click on webmail and login. The whole email process is web based and is painfully slow.

My office is currently located in a section of a Toronto District School Board school building. They gave me an ethernet drop so that I can access the internet but have not given me a login and password to the School Board's system. All they allow me is internet access. But to access email online is far far too slow. I want to access it through Outlook or Outlook Express.

At home I tested the process as presented by both the Netfirms host and my ISP. I entered the correct email address and password, pop, smtp, ports into Microsoft Outlook and tested. Not a problem. Instead of always having to go to Netfirms URL online to get my mail, I just go into Microsoft Outlook and I now can send and receive email, quickly and easily. No problems at all. I am now confident my settings are correct. I duplicated the process again on another home computer and again, I can send and receive mail, this time from both Outlook and Outlook express. I know my settings are correct.

Here
's the problem. When I went to work and applied the exact same settings to Microsoft Outlook, it shows that the Outgoing and Incoming servers are connected but gives a message that they are not responding. I've called Netfirms and they verified that my settings are correct. No matter what I try (change port numbers, reset the password, use Outlook express). I cant seem to get the web based mail associated with my workplaces' Windows email client.

I do have a theory that since the Toronto District School Board hasn't allowed me access to their system,they must have some extremely rigid permissions for web access and seeing that I am not a part of their system, they block out anything to prevent unauthorized access? Perhaps that included contacting another remote server? Maybe that doesnt hold water but that is all I can think of. Beyond that, I dont know how else to proceed. Any ideas?

It is very likely that they are blocking access to remote mail servers. You should be able to get a definitive answer from their IT staff.

You should also check with your own IT dept, not for advice on how to setup but if its allowed in your company as it could be against the IT policy in place. Also the Firewall could be preventing you access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back