Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot get backstroke character " \ " in DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

zobbo

Technical User
Dec 21, 2004
IE

trying to do a scanreg /restore command but just
cannot get the backstoke character. It works perfect in Windows.

Does anyone have any tips or workarounds?

that's a Forward slash, not a Backslash
Basically Backslashes are used for changing DIR and DRIVES...where as Forward is for switches after a command.

where in the command do you need a backslash?
Boot to DOS (F8 or hold CTRL) and choose Command Prompt Only
from C:\>
SCANREG /RESTORE

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

It still will not work. Tried typing

C:>scanreg /restore

and just get the message bad command or file name

When you are at the "c:\" prompt, type DIR and hit enter. This will show if your system files are being recognized (should be a whole bunch!).

is the forward slash not appearing? as in broken key on keyboard? (yet it works in windows?). Make sure you keep a blank space before the [/] character, as it appears you have

if you find C:\>DIR to work and show you the contents of C:\ like micker377 says - you could Boot from a Boot floppy and run the command.

The Scanreg.exe file is usually in C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND dir and your PATH statement may not contain this (this can be fixed).

For the meantime you can also change to COMMAND folder and run it
C:\>
CD WINDOWS\COMMAND
SCANREG /RESTORE
and/or SCANREG /FIX

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

ok guyz, gave up the ghost on this one.I tried all of your recs. but unofortunately they did not work. I even tried out the commands on a second pc and they worked just fine!

Eventually I just got OEM win98 disk and used that to startup and install windows bypassing dos.

I appreciate everyones help who contributed to this thread.

Will someday findout hopefully why that dam backslash never worked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back