Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot FTP to Cobalt server!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeelo

Programmer
Aug 14, 2002
CA
Me nor any admin can figure this out. I cannot ftp to a Cobalt RAQ server from my work. Here's what I get:

C:\WINNT>ftp x10.nitid.net
Connected to x10.nitid.net.
220 ProFTPD 1.2.2rc1 Server (ProFTPD) [216.12.215.9]
User (x10.nitid.net:(none)): skeelo2
331 Password required for skeelo2.
Password:
230-
****************** Site Administrator FTP instructions
This session begins in your user home directory at /users/skeelo2
Connection closed by remote host.

C:\WINNT>

After logging in, it either closes the connection, or stalls then closes the connection. Now this only happens at my work, and I am behind a proxy. I know it's not this particular host, because the same exact thing happened on my last host and he had a Cobalt RAQ. I know it's not my proxy server, because I can FTP to a non-Cobalt server fine. We've tried everything, anyone have any ideas?

Well, you are getting onto the box, so your ftp connection is getting there and then being disconnected once you are in and authorised.
From this you know that your account is active, it posesses ftp rights, logon rights & your password is right. Everything looks right.
If I understand your situation correctly, your access to the server is solely via ftp, you have no physical access to or control of the box it's self.
My advise it to talk to the administrators of the remote box to try and understand what your logon process is actually doing before you gain the access that you are presumably paying for. Tally that with the problems that you are encountering and go back to the operators of the box to get them to provide the right service.

Sorry, I can't think of anything technical stopping your efforts. Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

Yeah the same here, getting almost identical error, very bizarre :-(

C:\>ftp theletch.com
Connected to theletch.com.
220 ProFTPD 1.2.2rc1 Server (ProFTPD) [217.199.173.233]
User (theletch.com:(none)): theletch
331 Password required for theletch.
Password:
230-
****************** Site Administrator FTP instructions ******************

This session begins in your user home directory at /users/theletch
Connection closed by remote host.

again FTP is working, username and password working, just kicks me off straightaway... checking around the web and saw something about problems with Reverse DNS lookups?

Don't know really would just like it fixed :)

TheLetch

are you still having this trouble ? -Danny
dan@snoboarder.net

make the default directory as the root /web of the domain in Ftp.pm. for more info goto Kapil Aggarwal

Technical Director
Infovalley Interweb Pvt. Ltd.
Microsoft Certified System Engineer
visit
If u find the information provided here useful to u then let me know by clicking on the link below s-)

I am having a client that is exeriencing this problem
as well, but I am able to ftp successfully from serveral
computers on different networks with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back