Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot format ext HD from NTFS to FAT32 for use with car stereo

Status
Not open for further replies.

symboleyes

Technical User
Apr 25, 2008
GB
Good evening everybody,

Ive recently purchased a used 80gb external portable HD for use with my new USB car stereo head unit. The manufacturers state that the H/U will only recognize the FAT32 file system. Hence I went about formatting (it came formatted) the drive as it came with the NTFS system. When I prepare to format the drive via disk management, it only gives me the option of an NTFS format and no FAT32.

Could anybody please advise on why this is so and how to remedy the situation?

Thanks for your time,

Jon

From my experience, the toolset in Windows XP is rather limited for FAT32. What is required to do what you are wanting is to delete the NTFS partition and then add a blank partition and format it to FAT32. That can be done with Windows XP tools.

However, the problem is, it won't support doing that with anything that is greater than 32GB. There is a solution, though. If you can find a Windows 98/ME boot disk, you can load the proper USB disk drivers (you may have them with the drive, possibly? *) and then FDISK/Format it there and then Windows XP will be able to use it.

* Of course, there are roadblocks to that one, most notably the USB disk drivers. If you don't have those, I can point you toward some to try (of course they're hit and miss so you might not get it that way). Or if the case will come open and reveal an IDE interface, you can hook it up as an internal drive long enough to format it.

Dilbert is not a fictional cartoon. It is a documentary.

thanks, Ill try formatting at 32gb and take it from there.

Cheers and thanks again for your input, its greatly appreciated.

Jon

You could also use a partitioning utility to create a partition and format the drive. I used to swear by Partition Magic until Symantec bought them out and ceased all development. It is still available - for $70, although a trial version is also available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back