Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot find the symmetric key 'master key', because it does not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRodes

Instructor
May 28, 2003
US
I'm working with a website that uses ASP.Net and WCF services to serve up data from a SQL Server database. In the code, I'm getting an error:
Cannot find the symmetric key 'master key', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.
Cannot find the certificate 'RedFlag', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.
I'm told that the workaround to this is to change the userid in web.config to sa (normal userid is rnd). I suspect that if we go down that road very far, we will run some security risks.

So far, I've checked the rnd user mapping, and the rights to the db are datareader, datawriter, and public. sa has owner and public. So, I suspect it has something to do with the rights of the user.

Can someone help me out? Please let me know what additional information I need to provide, not sure what is helpful and what is in the way.

TIA

An unforeseen consequence of the information revolution has been the exponential propagation of human error.

Have you tried logging on to SQL (using management studio) using the rnd user account?

Can it select from the tables that it needs to correctly? Can it run any sp`s it needs to run? If so then i doubt the user is the issue.

have a look here:

Things to note - have you opened the key and have you granted perms for the key and cert to that user.

----------------------------------------

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Bernard Baruch

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra
----------------------------------------

Thanks scholar,

I had seen the link that you sent me. Since then, I've done a bit more looking around. I've found some of the system views such as sys.symmetric_keys and the like. Now, I tried to view the symmetric key with the problem userid, and got an access denied error. Logging in as sa,I didn't get the error.

Before I go messing around with GRANT statements (I'm thinking this: has something to do with the solution), can you tell me if there is a view which will allow me to see which users have which perms granted to which keys and certs?

Thx

An unforeseen consequence of the information revolution has been the exponential propagation of human error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back