Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot find secret key when trying to decrypt

Status
Not open for further replies.

binzer33

MIS
Jun 6, 2000
US
I am getting a "you do not have the secret key to decrypt this file" error message.
My command line is pgp test.txt testdump.txt . What am I doing wrong. I have verified that I have their public key and it is also signed and entrusted. Could I have the wrong public key on my keyring?

I am not sure what version you're using. Here is how 7.1 short forms syntax goes

pgp filename -z passphrase -o (output filename)

Binzer33,

Did you get a solution? I have exactly this problem: "pgp -kv" reports that I have the key, but "pgp MyCipherText.txt" denies all knowledge. PGPTools (the Windows GUI version) asks me to enter the passphrase and then decrypts very nicely.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Bill

If you're getting that message you're either not specifying the exact location of your key or you need to import your secret (or private key) into your key ring. Make sure you check the "trusted" box under your key Properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back