Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot find linked file

Status
Not open for further replies.

douglyon

Technical User
Aug 21, 2003
GB
Documents that are created on a local drive use linked image files that are in different folders on the server. When the Document is saved back to the server AI 10 fogets the links and says:
"cannot find the linked file "whatever name.eps" replace with another file?"
they then have to be updated manually which takes forever! Anyone know of a plugin that will find all the linked files in a Ai 10 document?

I'm desperate, I have 40 -50 documents to go through which on average 60 + images and logo files linked to them. The only saving grace (if you can call it that) is that these files are in only 2 folders on the server.
It wouldn't be so bad if it was like Quark where it says:
" There are other images in this folder would you like to update them?" rather than after maually updating each link AI10 takes you back to the top level of your server for each image!! I remember in AI 7 or 8 there used to be an option for " Remember links?" or somthing similar.

Just an idea.... not exactly what you're looking for perhaps...

You could save the AI's uncompressed and search for linked file references within the text itself (haven't tried this myself) and change the relative paths to the files this way.

TextPad ( would allow you to open up all 50 files at once (as text) and "Replace ALL" in a certain folder with another reference, VERY quickly, (as fast as your computer!). Word could also probably do it, though not as easily.

However, whatever you do BACKUP your files first !
If you'd like to post one of your files on a site, I'll take a look and perhaps write you a regular expression to search / replace with for TextPad...

I will look into this a bit more to see if this is possible, or "practical."
Sef.

It is alright to decorate construction, but never construct decoration. - Pugin, on Arch.

hi,

I see you use AI 10, under the File menu you find manage workgroups. Here you can specify which servers you want to use with a particular file or in general. You can manage the updating under the preferences menu. I don't use a server but I'm pretty sure this will solve your problem.

hope this helps
grillhouse

Thanks for the responses. I found a workaround where I made a copy of all the documents and linked files and put them in the same folder which re-established the links. Then used a program called 'Art Files' ($24) to collect the respective linked files to their own job folders.
(You can also use Schawk Scoop a freeware program:

This saved me a lot of work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back