Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot find/change file extension in windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinCO

Programmer
Oct 2, 2001
US
Okay, I want to open up my java server pages with notepad. Some reason, when I click on it(it has the icon in the explorer of no extension) it defaults to dreamweaver, which I don't want. Normally with that "unknown" icon, it will open up the file manager and lets me pick what I want to open up the file with, but it automatically goes to dreamweaver. Now I go to the explorer, select View/Folder Options and then click the File Types tab. There is not .jsp extension, so I hit the "New Type" button and I put jsp in the associated extension and hit "OK", but it tells me "jsp already in use with by file type 'asafile, choose another extension. I cannot find asa file on the file manager either. why do some file extensions do not appear in the file types box? I'm tired of having to drag my .jsp files into notepad via the mouse to the notepad icon. How can I get to these files when they do not appear in the file manager? Thanks for your help

if you select the file you wish to open then right click whilst holding down shift you will then have then OPEN WITH option.

Choose the app you want to use and tick the always use this program to open this file type

Thank you very much bazzert!! It worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back