Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot empty recycle bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLWilts

Programmer
Feb 12, 2001
GB
Hello all,
A client of mine has a PC that was upgraded by Time (I know, I know - TRIED to tell him!!). He now has a D drive that is his old C drive. The problem is that the recycle bin is showing about a hundred file in it. When he tries to delete these files or empty the recycle bin, he just gets error "1026" and the files stay put! Same message if we try to restore them too. I have tried reducing the global size of the recycle bin to 0, rebooting, no avail. He has plenty of free space.
Please help.

System is PIII 500, 256MB Ram, 20GB C drive, 10GB D drive.

how bout restoring the files to a temp folder, and deleting from dosspromt? Ow when trying to delete them again hold the shift key as you press the delete key - this by passes the recycle bin.

Under Recyclebin properties is the selection either:
Configure drives independently marked or Use one setting for all drives?

BradSQLGuy,
Its "Use one setting for all drives", but I only have one drive on this client - several mapped when connected to my netware network though. No different whether attached to network or not, btw.

Your problem seems very unique. I haven't been able to find a good fix for you. Question: When the user deletes files do they go to the D drive or do they go to the C recyclebin? I will keep looking for possible fixes also.

They seem to go to the recycle bin??!! Strange, I know. I am quite experienced in PC ops, but in all my years I have NEVER seen this. New files entering the recycle bin can be deleted OK. Bizarre!!!!!!!!

Do this to completely empty the recycle bin:

START|SHUTDOWN|RE-START IN MS-DOS

at DOS type
D: (which ever drive you have)
CDDEL RECYCLED

re-start computer

They're gone
colorado.gif

¡Buena Suerte!

The client has a C: drive and D: drive? If so, the recycle bin setting could be changed to "Configure drives independently". Like BradSQLGuy asked, when you delete a file on C:, does it show up in the D: recycle bin?

Spyderix's suggestion should work, because Windows rebuilds your recycle bin as soon as it sees that it's not there. Of course, this rebuild will fix your problem.

Error 1026 is telling you that the file is either "write protected" or doesn't exist. When the drive letter changed to D:, the recycle bin's files are still pointing to C:. That's why you get error 1026 when you try to do anything to them.

[deejay]
~cdogg

I didn't read if you tried using win. esplorer to empty the bins. You should see two, one called recycled and one called recycle bin, if the install was corrupted you may have 3 one for d dr. one for c dr. and recycle bin supposedly for both.. anyway you should be able to open them and delete from there, once they are empty and you reboot if you show 3 bins one of them will have to go... hope this helps...jackha

I think the problem is because one or more of the files are in use so download a program call task kill and close all of the none system files then delete them - Or go to dos and type "C:" enter
"cd recycled" enter
"attrib *.* -s -r -h" enter
"del *.*" enter
then
"win" enter
to reopen windows DavidDude00@Daw Corp, 1999-2002
%

Thanks for all your help, people, but nothing helped.
Decided to rebuild the system - from fdisk upwards.

Thanks anyway

I had this same problem. I went into DOS command mode and entered attrib -r -s -h c:\recycled and then entered deltree c:\recycled. Both commands worked, but when I rebooted the Recycle bin showed the same files. I noticed that when I ran my mouse over the blue Empty Recycle Bin it was pointing to C:\WINDOWS\WEB\RECYCLE.HTT . When I deleted this file the PC locked up. However, when I rebooted my PC the recycle bin was empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back