Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Eject CD from Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

diulasing

Technical User
May 10, 2003
CA
Please Help.
I have a P3 machine with 2 CD drives. a normal CD drive and a HP CD-writer. Replaced the old CD-ROM with a DVD-Writer 8 month ago, every thing works fine. Recently I cannot get the HP CD-writer to reject disks after I put a disk in. And have to manually eject the disk with a pin.
Any Help is appriciated.

diulasing,

Might you be running something like "Adaptec Direct to CD".

If you are, it does not allow an eject through pressing the normal "eject" button. There is an icon, normally bottom tackbar on the right that is the eject routine.

This is just a thought as this type of application behave this way.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Come to think of it, I was in Window Explorer and just 'Copy and Paste' the files from a USB Flash Disk to a CD-RW disk in the HP CD-Writer without even thinking. I do not think the CD-RW disk had been formatted beforehand, although I had Easy CD Creater 5 Basic in the computer.
Something I did that I missed that cause this problem ?
I have XPsp2 OS running FAT32, which when on upgrade from 98SE was NOT asked about which file format I want. Should I convert it now or leave it as is ?
Thankyou again

diulasing,

If XP is already installed and working, you can leave it as is. XP will run on FAT32 just fine.

Not sure of your other questions.

rvnguy

What I meant was, I just perform a " copy & paste " operation in Window Explorer after I put a CD-RW disk into the HP CD-Writer. I did not open any program (like Easy CD Creater).
There is also no icon in the right lower corner of task bar for ejecting routine.
I am puzzled.

Can you take out the writer and test it in another pc? See if it fails to eject in the other one. If you can recreate the problem, I'd say your HP cd has gone bad.

The writer checked out OK. Come to think of it, there is one thing I have not try, SWAPing the Drives' master & slave setting. I will try this weekend (if time allows) to see the result. And in the mean time I have to use the DVD Writer to do things.
Will post once I tried.
Thanks guys.

diulasing,
diulasing said:
I do not think the CD-RW disk had been formatted beforehand
Back to your problem of the disk not ejecting: I do not use RW media due to the low cost of write once media and the time involved in formatting RW media.

This could be the root of your problem. RW media must be formatted to perform a file copy to it as if it were a HD. As it does not recognize the media it could be locking the drive in some way.

Try formatting the media before attempting to copy files to it.

I also think that you need to load an application something like that provided by Adaptec(ROXIO) called "Direct to CD" to utilize this facility. At least this is required for read only media.

rvnguy

diulasing,

Can you eject a CD by right-clicking on the drive letter and selecting 'Eject'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back