Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot E-Mail PST File

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fotoman

Technical User
May 7, 2003
GB
I would like to share a Contacts Address Folder with a colleague.
Using MS Outlook 2003 I have Exported the Contacts to a .PST file on my desktop but I cannot attached it to an E-Mail.
Even right-clicking the file and clicking Send to: Mail Recipient does not work.
Am I right in thinking that I would just Export the PST file from my PC, E-Mail the file to him and then for him to Import the file into his PC?
Any help gratefully appreciated.

Fotoman

Crime Pays...
...unless you're a motorist!

Likely you can't email the exported PST because Outlook has it open. Outlook by default keeps any PST imported or exported PST open exclusively.

Use file manager to first of all remove the exported PST from the list of PSTs being used by Outlook. Then restart Outlook and the exported PST should be unlocked.

Alternatively you could export your contacts as a CSV file and let your correspondent import that, but the PST option should work better especially if lists or notes are involved.

Jock

Don't use file manager. You run the risk of corrupted data. Right click on the PST folder list and choose "Close" in Outlook.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Thanks for that. I've now been able to attached the file in an email. Next stage is to see if it will import on my colleague's PC.
Watch this space if it doesn't!

Crime Pays...
...unless you're a motorist!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back