Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot drag/move files on same drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
I just did a clean install of Mavericks on a new ssd drive. I reformatted my old spinning drive to use for data and have both drives installed again. The OS is installed and everything is running fine, but when I went to start organizing files on the data drive I am finding that I can not move files and folders around on the drive. I am forced to copy files and folders and go back and delete the originals even though they are all on the same drive and partition. According to finder I have read and write access to everything. I am the only user on the system. I did some google searches and found a couple of other people with a similar complaint, but no explanation or way to resolve what is going on.

can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong or point me in the right direction?

Is there a specific error message that appears when you try to move files?

No errors. I just get the big plus sign indicating you are copying files. You also have the CUT option grayed out if you try to select the files and then cut and paste. On the data drive the file system seems to be behaving like I am copying to different drives, enforcing a copy, paste and the separate delete as if I was moving files onto separate drives.

Its formatted Mac OS extended. I used superduper to copy the contents of the drive to an external usb drive, then i reformatted the original drive and now I'm copying back onto the newly formatted drive just the data files I want to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back