Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot disconnect network drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2002
US
Problem: I have a network drive that is using the drive letter p:\. I need to use this drive letter for another assignment. The behaviour of the drive is puzzling.

I have an icon for (p:) with a red x in My Computer.
If I right-click / disconnect, I get "The network connection could not be found."
If I try to open (P:), I get "P:\ is not accessible. Logon failure: unknown username or bad password."

From the command prompt:
c:\> net use -> "There are no entries in the list"
c:\> net use p: /delete -> "The network connection could not be found.
c:\> net use p: \\server\share -> "System error 85 has occurred. The local device name is already in use."

How can I get rid of this drive?

If the net use * /delete doesn't work, contact the network admin and ask if the drive is being added as part of a login script and see if it can be removed.

Thanks for the suggestions.

net use * /delete

This does not work. Gives message: "There are no entries in the list"

Regarding login scripts, I myself am the network admin, and I can find no login scripts active. Note: I am logging on to the computer locally and not logging into the domain.

Any other ideas out there?

An idea to disable one or more startup programs to see if any of them is trying to establish the P:-connection ?

Thanks, PAndersen - you got me thinking on the right track. I discovered a rogue domain group policy login script that was mapping the drive. I didn't suspect group policy because I was not logging into the domain. However, this group policy was set at the computer level, not the user level. Problem solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back