Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot detect serial port device

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2005
US
For some reason I cannot detect a UPS connected by a serial cable on my server.
I am trying to install a power management software to my rack of servers which are running off of two UPS's. The two UPS's are connected to two different servers. On both servers the connceted via the agent and then disconnected. I have not been able to detect them since then.

I have un-installed the power management software but the thing is I am not able to detect anything hooked up to COM1 or COM2 in device manager when I do a scan.

I have tried the /noserialmice switch in the boot.ini and that has not worked.

I have also verified that the UPS's are ok by detecting them on my laptop with the serial cable.

Can anyone suggest a reason why Win2K3 will not detect these devices?? I am stumped on this one.

Thanks

Are you using the ups furnished serial cable ?

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

I read in this forum that APC sometimes supplies the wrong serial cable...

In my case, I had a "weird" USB Cable supplied by APC. The cable don't seem to allow communication between the UPS and the server but the same cable works fine between a PC and printer. I used another USB Cable also supplied by APC and it worked...

Yes. It is the cable that shipped with the UPS.

Furthermore, I have tried attaching the UPS to a attempt detecting the UPS on another machine to see if it might be a problem with the cable, but device manager detected it on the other machine. So, I would think that the issue lies somewhere with the server...But I am assuming nothing at this point. :)

Sounds like a plan. The serial cable(s) I use have 940-1524c stamped in the plastic plug cover.These are old units,so that may not be valid on new units.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back