Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot delete paragraph format in Word XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

groston

IS-IT--Management
Dec 31, 2001
US
I am working on a document that I did not create. In the 'Styles and Formatting', I have selected to show only 'Formatting in use'.

To update a document's formatting, I typically right-click on the format that I want to change, choose 'Select all <x> intances', then click the format to which I want these paragraphs changed. This works most of the time.

However, there are instances when choosing 'Select all <x> intances' does not result in any paragraphs being selected. Even odder, is selecting the 'Delete' option also causes nothing to happen.

This is rather annoying since this particular document is horribly cluttered with extraneous paragraph formats. How can I get rid of them?

Note that these formats are not 'defined formats'. That is, they are modifications of some underlying format. For example, one of them is named 'Right' and it is simply 'Normal' with right justification. (This also means that they cannot be removed using the Organizer'.

Thanks for your help!

----

Gerry Roston
gerry@pairofdocs.net

It turns out that this is a bug in MS Word. If you have a table with an empty cell, you cannot use 'Select all <x> instances> to select those paragraphs. Instead, you must to a 'Replace All', finding the paragraph format you want and repalcing it with some other style.

----

Gerry Roston
gerry@pairofdocs.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back