Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Delete or Move Messages in Outlook 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToyodaTim

MIS
Feb 12, 2003
US
We have a user here who is having difficulty moving messages in Outlook. When he tries to move a message from his Inbox into his personal folders, Outlook 2000 gives the following error message:

"The item could not be moved. It was either moved or already deleted, or access was denied."

I did a little research and found a Knowledgebase article (326396) that talked about the mailbox exceeding it's storage quota limit, but we do not have storage quotas set up at all, so he has no limit.

We tried accessing his email from another computer but he got the same message.

I noticed one interesting thing while troubleshooting. In Exchange System Manager, the mailbox size of the user shows only being 9 MB. But in Outlook, if you right-click on his mailbox and click folder size, it shows that he has over 80 MB. Obviously, something tells me that this has something to do with it.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Tim N.

Unmount the stores and run isinteg and eseutil /d

I'm a bit of a newbie...so I was wondering if you could clarify some things on these recommendations for me? First of all, will this do any irreversible harm to our information store?

Secondly, could you give a little more info on where this isinteg and eseutil utilities are located? I have never used these before and am not sure what I need to do. Maybe you could provide some more detailed step by step info? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tim N.

They'll both do irreversible actions, but certainly not harm your stores.

I think isinteg is in your exchange\bin directory, and eseutil is on your exchange CD under utils.

Basically, isinteg will look for/fix problems in the store, and eseutil /d will defragment the store, which is what I think is causing your 80/9 MB discrepancy.

Search for both of those items at support.microsoft.com before you run them. Should give you a complete rundown of all the options.

If you're nervous, just shut down all Exchange services, make a copy of your exchange\mdbdata folder, then proceed. If you mess up horribly, just restore the copy you made.

Note: When running the tools, the Exchange services need to be started, but the stores should be unmounted.

We've run into this a lot w/ users on our Exch 2000 cluster. It sounds like a bad workaround, but moving the mailbox to another Exch server (and eventually moving it back) seems to resolve such issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back