Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

? Cannot delete games ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc2502

Technical User
Jan 31, 2003
GB
We run a network and have a policy of not letting anyone play games. The problem is on Windows 2000 PC's.
I have signed on to the PC as Administrator locally. I delete the files in question, ie. Sol.exe, winmine.exe etc. They go to the recycle bin. I empty the recycle bin and they go from the recycle bin. But if you do a refresh on the System32 folder where these are held., they reappear. I have tried hiding them, but if you do Start, then Run, and type in sol.exe, you can still play them.
Any ideas anyone ??

Open the file \winnt\inf\sysoc.inf.
Find entries looking something like this:-
Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,hide,7
AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,hide,7

Edit them to remove 'hide', so they look like this:-

Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,,7
AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,,7

Save the file & go to add/remove programs, add/remove windows components.

Accessories & Utilities will now appear there and if you select & click on details, Games will appear at next level. Untick the box and they will all be uninstalled.

Worked a treat, thanks for your help

Do you think it would be a good idea to put HIDE back in so the User can't Enable Games again in Add/Remove Windows Components?

Just a thought.

spool

This is a different problem, but related...

In add/remove programs, Windows Components did not appear, only a list of Hotfixes and SP3. As a result, unable to remove these games,

Please ignore previous post ... The issue is different.

My copy of sysoc.inf is found only in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. Modifying this file did not cause Accessories & Utilities to be displayed in Add/Remove Windows Components. I have no other copy of this file in the system. (I checked this with another computer running W2K. In this case I found a copy of the file in the WINNT\INF directory, as well as a copy in C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386. Modifying the second file had not effect, but modifying the file in the WINNT\INF directory did allow access to Accessories & Utilities.

The major difference between the two systems is that the problem one is an upgrade from Win98, while the other was a new W2K installation.

At any rate, I am still unable to delete games.

If it was a 98 upgrade - is the system folder still c:\windows rather than c:\winnt? (so does sysoc.inf exist in c:\windows\inf? - I think it should). If not - have you tried copying the file from C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 to there?

I found c:\Windows\inf as a hidden folder (previous searches for the sysoc.inf fine and the INF folder turned up nothing) and was able to make the necessary changes.

Thanks much

Another option is to set the permissions of the games to Deny domain users and full control to admins. Then they can't remove them, reinstall them or anything else and the Admins can play solitaire all day!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back