Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot delete folders in Window 2000 Advanced Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

skendrick

Technical User
Mar 31, 2003
Every time I make a new folder on my partitoned drives which I use for sharing folders, I am never able to rename them delete them or anything. I get an error message that says Cannot remove folder: Access is denied. The source file may be in use. I am the owner of the files and I have full access to everything. Could you please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,
Sterling Kendrick

Skendrick,

Check the security permissions on the drive/partition itself.

Patty

I have full access, I added the user everyone and made it have full access too, but I still cannot delete or modify anything.

Thanks,
Sterling

Sterling,

Is this ANY folder you create on ANY drive/partition on your system?

Has this always been the case or did this just begin recently?

When you say you have full Control, you do mean full Control to the drive, i.e., C:\ or D:\ and not just Full Control to the folder itself, right? Because if you have limited access to the drive itself, say for example, Read but not Write you would encounter these problems.

Just a thought

Patty [ponytails2]

The only drive I can make changes to is drive c:\. I cannot on drives d:\,e:\ and f:\. I have full control of the drives and the folders. This problem happened about a week ago.

Thanks,
Sterling

A process or object is accessing the directory you want to delete. In order to remove or rename the target directory do the following:

1. Stop the Share on the target drive.
2. Delete or rename the required directories and files.
3. Re-enable the share on the drive. Make sure you use the same share name as used prior to stopping the share.

Kelly

Ok I tried that also but I still cannot do anything. On the drives the permissions are set for everyone full access, administrators have full access, administrator has full access, security is set for everyone full access, administrator full access, and administrators full access. Folders are set the same. What is wrong with all of this?

Thanks,
Sterling

Does anybody know what might be my problem? Is there anything I can do to keep me from having to format my drives?

Are you running any software like ZoneAlarm? What applications are installed on the server?

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

The only applications that I am running are the ones that I installed when I first build the server. The only thing different I have added is terminal services.

Sterling

You can always try the recovery console by booting from the CD. No drivers or system services will be running so you'll get access to the hard drive without any object or service having any files open. I would rename rather than delete because when you reboot, you may find out you really need what you were trying to get rid of and if you deleted it... oh well. If you renamed it, you can recover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back