Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot delete directory with no name

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnynuggetz

Technical User
Apr 4, 2002
US
Had a win2k server broken into via FTP and the person put a directory with no name that cannot be deleted. It has a bunch of unknown files in the directory that is taking up about 800mb of space that cannot be deleted either. Tried to delete from dos, but to no avail. Tried to rename and then delete, but wouldn't let me. Tried to change attribute to archive, but wasn't even a choice.

Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA

There is a &quot;function&quot; called locking but this includes creating a directory called /COM1 /<and some directory> (COM1 and a space) on the NT box. To access the &quot;COM1 &quot; folder one will have to knwo the subdirectory as COM1 is a function reserved for the communications port 1.

Another method is that instead of space on will use ALT-xxxx to create a &quot;space&quot;, this will also make the deletion of the directory harder.

But since this box has been compromised my recommendation would be reinstall and restore the data.

Just access your system in the same way like the hacker did. You have to use POSIX support from windows for such a tricks. In Windows (DOS) you wil never be able to create a directory name with nothing inside (space), or names like COM1, LPT1, CON, etc. But you can do this using POSIX support.
So, just access using ftp, and use ftp functions to do this. Gia Betiu
m.betiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5

Also check this answer of mine:
thread55-238365 Gia Betiu
m.betiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back