Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot debug a sql stored procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

VBMental

Programmer
Feb 26, 2002
US
Situation:
VB.NET (Professional Edition)
MSDE Service Pack 3

I can step into a stored procedure, but when I set a breakpoint and run the app calling the procedure. It doesn't hit the breakpoint. As a matter of fact, the breakpoint turns into a red circle with a question mark inside, and the tooltip says 'no symbols have been loaded'.

I tried setting 'Sql Server Debugging' option in the project properties dialog box, but that doesn't help.

I assume that you are using VS 7.0 (the new version 'Whidbey' due next year, but already out in beta version is very different in this respect).
You cannot set a breakpoint in the sql server debugger and expect that to trigger when you use the stored procedure (UP) via ADO.NET. The sql server debugger does not work in that way. Your only option is to set a breakpoint in your vb.net project were you call the UP, write down the input to the UP, open the sql server SP debugger, type in the same input and then step through (or use a breakpoint) the SP.

Good luck

Sunaj
'The gap between theory and practice is not as wide in theory as it is in practice'

Does your SP have any logic built into it or is it just a simple Select, Insert, Delete, Update? If so then you can't debug those types of SP's. AFAIK, you can only debug SP that involve cursors.

Scott
Programmer Analyst
<{{><

What? You can debug any UP in MS SQL server 2000.

Sunaj
'The gap between theory and practice is not as wide in theory as it is in practice'

i have that problem, how can i solve it ?

i get this message:

The breakpoint will not currently be hit. Unable to bind SQL breakpoint at this time. Object containing the breakpoint not loaded

Have you set the 'Active Solution Configuration' to 'Debug'?
(You can't debug if it's set to 'Release'.
Select 'COnfiguration Manager' in the 'Build' menu to check this.

Sunaj

i execute this sp sp_sdidebug 'legacy_on'
in the master database, and it seems it solves the problem.
Cause all the other configuration was correct.

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back