Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot create tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

acamusc

Technical User
Apr 7, 2003
Hi colleagues:
Could somebody help me? I reload Office Pro 2002 XP but now I cannot activate commands to create tables, clicking on any creation command or menu command to create table it doesn't work. I have been working without any problem for 10 month creating many systems with their tables with this version of Office, so I don't understand what it is happening.
Thank you in advanco for your kindness...
Augusto

Did you activate Access user-level security on this database before reinstalling Office XP? Reinstalling may have switched you back to the default workgroup information file. You should be able to re-join the proper workgroup to get going again.

If you activated security using your default workgroup file (a very unwise thing to do), you'll have to re-enter exactly the same user and group accounts, then assign Admin a password and log on the way you used to before reinstalling.

Rick Sprague
Want the best answers? See faq181-2886
To write a program from scratch, first create the universe. - Paraphrased from Albert Einstein

Dear Rick :
Thank you for your kind answer.
I reviewed everything concerned with security.
I work at home developping systems in access, so my PC is a stand alone one. My workgroup always is "HOME".
I can open the tables I have created previously, but now that I need to add two more, I cannot use any create command, I click on them but they don't respond, not a single error message, just it doesn't do anything neither it hangs up, go on working as it didn't happen anything.
If you have any clue to help me would be nice, I was thinking that could be some reference missing but I am not so conversant with references.
Thank you in advance for any help, if possible.
Cordially,
Augusto

Let me be sure that I understand. You select the Tables tab in the Database Window, then click the New button or select Insert|Table from the menu, and it just ignores you?

(Note: I don't have Access 2002, so I'm guessing that the Database Window is more or less the same as in Access 2000, and the menu command is the same. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Rick Sprague
To write a program from scratch, first create the universe. - Paraphrased from Albert Einstein

Dear Rick
Yes, I select Tables tab in the database windows and Access exhibit a window heading the table list with 3 commands :
- Create a table in design view
- Create a table with the wizard
- Create a table with data input
(Probably the wording is not exactly since my Access it is in Spanish)
After these 3 lines it comes the list with the tables already created.
When I click on any one of the 3 comes nothing happens, no error message. I can open the tables already created I can see the data, I can insert, modify or delete data in those tables.
My concern is that I need to add one more table but I cannot create it. In 6 years working with Access this is the first time I have such problem and I did never a hear about something like this to my colleages o any forum.
As I wrote i my previous mail, could be some problem of reference, which I don't handle well but I had a lot of problems with them when I moved to Office Pro 2002 XP.
Thank you in advance for any help.
Cordially
Augusto

In Access 2000 (English), these items within the Database Window that are not working are called the "new object shortcuts," and you can show them or hide them with a setting on the Tools|Options dialog, View tab. Try turning them off, then on again (click the "Apply" button in between).

Originally you said you couldn't create a table using the menu, but you weren't specific about which menu command you had tried, so please tell me now, does the Insert|Table menu command work?

Can you modify an existing table in Design View?

Can you create queries and forms?

I don't think your problem is with References. References should affect only VBA code and ActiveX controls--certainly not tables. It is common to need to change many references when you upgrade a database to a new version of Access.

Rick Sprague

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back