Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot create key in Registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

treywalker

Programmer
Nov 28, 2002
US
Here's my problem. I have been trying to install several virus protection programs of late, but each one has run into an error while writing to the registry. I had to get a refund on Norton because they wouldn't help me.

Luckily I ran across Computer Associates who have free anti-virus software available. However, that's not the good news, because this doesn't work either. While installing and playing with the program I was able to find the problem that I am having with these products.

They are all trying to create a new key and associated entries in the Registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services.

This task is failing and they are receiving the error "Cannot create key". Obviously I'm an administrator on my own computer, so I went in the registry and looked around. I have the permissions required, but even I can not create keys here. In fact I can't create a key anywhere below "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM".

So what's the problem? Why can't my software programs or administrator (me) create keys here? I know that other people using XP (yes I downloaded the XP version of Norton) can install and run Norton Anti-virus without trouble. I mean it only makes sense right? There hasn't been a mass recall of all anti-virus software from Norton or McAfee of late that I know of (j/k).

Please help & Thank you!

Did you try taking "Ownership" of "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM", and letting sub-keys inherit the permission?

Are there any "Deny" boxes checked? Do you have any other third party software that may be protecting your registry?

Have you tried your installation as Administrator from Safe Mode?

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (Q308421)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back