Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot create an ERD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

micky500970

Programmer
Jul 9, 2004
GB
Hello,

I am trying to create an ERD using the backup program on a windows 2000 server but keep getting an error saying " the disk file was not found or inaccessable"
I have tried several disks but to no avail. The floppy drive is ok as I can read and write to disk using it. I have tried it on a windows 2000 computer and it works fine.

Any ideas why this is so and is there another way to create such a disk, say in DOS?

Many thanks

Micky, is the first part of the ERD backup successful - the part that copies the Registry to the \repair\regback folder ? And have the floppy disks been used in other computers?

In my experience, the two reasons why ERD backup processes fail are:

(1) the \repair\ folder doesn't exist or is corrupted and / or

(2) the floppy disk was used as an ERD in another machine. This wasn't a common problem for us, but some of our Netfinity servers were susceptible to this.

-----------------------------------
All the best handles were taken :-(

Just a thought. Check for any infections or viruses on the server in question.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin/Central Florida feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
TTinChicago
Johnson Computers
[xmastree]

hi all,

The first part is working. I have checked and the repair\regback folder contains current files. It just fails on writing to floppy. I have used new and old disks but to no avail. I can write data manually to all the disks i have tried.

If copied the files from the regback folder to disk, would this replicate an ERD?

Cheers

I'm pleased the first part is working, because that's the most critical. In my experience, when registry corruption occurs, provided you can boot to the Windows Recovery Console - either from CD-ROM, or by installing it beforehand as a boot option (highly recommended) then that's enough. I've never needed the floppy to recover a system.

However, to answer your question re manually copying the files from regback to disk, I'm not sure what files are stored on floppy, as it has been several months since I ceated an ERD floppy.

These MSKB article may shed more light on what you need:
How to Create an Emergency Repair Disk in Windows 2000

How to Manually Create an Emergency Repair Disk

-----------------------------------
All the best handles were taken :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back