Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Contact DNS Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

thawk10

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2003
US
I have 2 Windows 2003 DC's & DNS servers: DC1 & DC2

When I open the DNS MMC on my pc or any other pc I can only connect to DC1. DC2 will connect but has a "red X" through it. I can look at DNS event viewer and restart the DNS server on DC2. I receive the following error when trying to connect to DC2:

The specified DNS server cannot be contacted. Some possible reasons include: the DNS server may not be running, there may be network problems, or the computer associated with the specified name or IP address could not be found.

I am able to logon to DC2 and open the DNS MMC without any errors.

I have been looking all over the internet and unable to find a resolution. The DNS server is running fine without any errors in event viewer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Windows 2003.. Is the Windows firewall enabled on DC2?

Can DC1 ping DC2 (by name) - i.e. ping DC2 - can it resolve the name to an IP address? If not then this is the reason DC1 cannot connect to DC2 because it cannot resolve its name.

Are you able to use Computer Management on DC1, and remotely
Manage DC2?

If not, check the 'Remote Registry' service on DC2. Might be turned off, which I think is required in order to manage DNS remotely.

Also, check this link: Perhaps remote DNS management has been disabled on DC2?

Get all of your hosting needs at ITonTheFly.com! Exchange, BlackBerry, Web, FTP, and much more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back