Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Connect to VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Jul 31, 2002
US
I have setup VPN on Win2k Adv. I loaded client software on XP machine. Hit connect..it finds it connects and goes to verify password and username..and then pops up error 721

"The remote computer did not respond"

Anyone got any ideas? Am behind Linksys router that supports PPTP and IPSEC....port 1723 Forwarded to comp that Win2k is on

Try this, in the client vpn properties click on the networking tab, then click the properties button, then click the advanced button, and remove the tick that says next to it "use default gateway on remote network" click ok all the way out, then try again. If this does not work then it is beyond my experties.

I have had the same problem and after speaking with microsoft support for 7 hours we discovered that the two network cards were the issue. You will need to find which boots up first. Then go to network properties, right click on the card and then click disable. Right click on the same card again and click enable. This works great. Keep in mind though that after you reboo the server you will have to do this again as it defaults back to the original settings.

Be sure that you have port 1723, port 47 and protocol 47 open and enabled. Also, try rebooting the server. I had a similar problem when I only had port 1723 and protocol 47 forwarded. When I opened port 47, it started working

Where did you open port 47 ? At the Linksys router or at the vpn switch server ?

I opened Port 47 at both switch server and router...and I have now tried both Linksys router and a Belkin Router w/ 4port switch

I agree with the fact you need to open port 1723, and a protocol 47 on the firewall. 1723 takes care of authentication, protocol 47 (GRE) handles PPTP encapsulation. I don't think you need port 47 open to go with your VPN though. Port 47 and protocol 47 is not the same thing.

I made the dumb mistake of not checking off the "Allow Access" box in the "Admin Tools" --> Computer Management --> Users --> User -->Dial-in tab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back