Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect to the configuration database

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhampsink

Technical User
Apr 6, 2009
NL
Please help.
I have got a windows 2003 sbs server and had windows sharepoint 3.0 installed on it.
I configured the companyweb and everything worked fine till today.
When i try to start companyweb i get the error message "cannot connect to the configuration database"
When i try to start sharepoint 3.0 central administration i get the same error.
When i try to start sharepoint central administration it starts but when i try to set the configuration database it comes with the error cannot open database requested in login sts_config , login failes.
I have sql 2005 express management studio installed and detached the database sts_config , when i try to attach the database again it comes with the error "could not find row in sysindexes for database id5 , object id1 ,index id 1 ,microsoft sql server error 602.
I am a bit of a newbie to ms sql so i appreciate any help i can get.

Kind regards ,

Niels

Sounds like a very specific problem with the database itself, rather than being a SharePoint error. You might get better help from the "Microsoft SQL Server: Setup and Administration" forum. Someone may be able to help you get it back online.

When you installed SharePoint, did you install SQL Server (or SQL Server Express) yourself and choose a SharePoint Farm configuration, or did you install SharePoint in single-server configuration? The latter option installs the embedded version of SQL Server which behaves a bit differently. Worth working out which SQL version you have and including it in the post as it might change how you can recover the database.

If that doesn't work, do you have a recent database backup you could restore?

Alternatively, if you haven't done any work on the SharePoint installation, you might be able to recreate the config database (can't remember exactly how, so post again if necessary).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back