Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect to Router's default IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unobtanium

Technical User
Apr 11, 2006
US
I know next to nothing about networking, but I've done a little research and spent a lot of time trying to resolve my problem. I cannot connect to my linksys BEFSR41 V.2 router's default ip address of 192.168.1.1. However, after setting a static ip on my computer and xbox, I can connect to it, stream and transfer files, etc. But it's getting really annoying to disconnect my cable modem, connect to the router, change my ip address, and then not have access to the internet. I'm not running a firewall, and here's what the ipconfig says when connected only to the router:

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.194.238
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

I'm pretty sure that if I can connect to the router and upgrade the firmware, that I can get everything else, but I gotta find the address first. Is there a program that can do that for me? I really would appreciate the help, so thanks in advance.
John

Nevermind, I reset it and got everything working fine!!!!! Exciting, and fun that I did it myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back