Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot connect to remote 2k3 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

swns

Technical User
Feb 28, 2006
CA
Good day all, I am having issues connecteing remotely to my 2003 PDC from another 2k3 server. remote desktop gives the following error "This computer can't connect to the remote computer" I also can not connect from remote web workplace, I get this error there "Connectivity to the remote computer could not be established" I can connect from the server in question but not to it.
Server in question is 2003 SBS with exchange and IIS running on it.
If more info is needed please let me know, have been fighting with this for a few days now, starting to make me crazy.

You need to make sure RDP is enabled on the server you want to connect to. Just right click on My Computer and select the remote tab. From there it is a simple check box. Also if your server is behind a router you need to open port 3389. Hope this helps.

Checked and double checked both of those, nothing on the server has changed and this all worked a week ago?

Perhaps run netstat -an on the remote 2K3 server and check to see if there is a listening entry for 0.0.0.0:3389...

Or attempt to open a telnet session on port 3389 to the remote server. If RDP is working properly, the cursor should just blink at you until you start typing anything.

Ther is no listening entry for :3389, what does that mean? Is RDP not running even though everything else says it is?
Forgive me, but what is the proper command for opening a telnet session on port 3389?

Just go to administrative tools and in services you can see if RDP is started.

I don't even see an entry for RDP service in there?

Pretty sure the service is listed as Terminal Services and can't be stopped/started via the services snap ip. You have to reboot the box to "restart" the service.

How long had it been working for? How old is the install of Server 2003? On install, did you install this server as a Terminal Services Server?

I feel really dumb right now, I have been rebooting the server on a weekly basis through scheduled tasks and every once in a while during the week. I assumed they had been running but when I checked I saw that the server had not been rebboted in three weeks. I rebooted and voila problems solved. Thanks to everyone for the replies and help

If you have to reboot a server weekly to fix issues, then you have bigger problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back