Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Connect to Mysql Server using MyOdbc

Status
Not open for further replies.

qmyung76

Programmer
Oct 27, 2003
US
Hello all,
I am trying to connect to MySQL 4.0 using MyOdbc 3.7 in 10base2 coaxial network setup.

Basically I have two computers.
1. Window 2000 Prof, serves as a MySql Server
2. Window 98, Runs an app that utilizes MySql in Computer 1

When I was testing this app, all my test computer was connected through a Hub using 10baseT network and everything worked ok.

But when I brought this out to 10base2 network, my computer 2 could not find the MySql Server on computer 1. My Computer 2 can view Computer 1 System (files and etc.) throught Window Explorer. I tried both IP address and computer name for the dbServer name in the connection string, but both failed.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Is there a different way to connect to mysql server when using 10base2 connection?

Thank you very much.

10base2? Wow, I haven't heard anyone admit to using 10base2 in a long time.

The way you connect to MySQL is media-independent. I suspect you have other problems with your networking setup or intrastructure.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!!

Are you only running IP on these machines?
Can you 'telnet computer2 3306' and get the blank screen?

You could maybe try and run MySQL using Named Pipes as well (sot in the dark)

qmyung76,
Hi, not sure whether you have solve your problem but sleipnir214 is right, the way you connect to MySQL is media-independent. I have a setup just like yours though I'm not using 10base2 but I'm using MyODBC and it works fine. I have no problem connecting to my server as 'root' but when I try to connect as another user I couldnt. I found out later that it was because I didnt specify a password for the user. Once I set a password for that user I have no problems connecting anymore. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back