Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect to msde sql 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvsql

Technical User
Apr 3, 2003
CA
Our previous IT employee setup our Blackberry BES server with SQL MSDE. We can no longer connect to it as we get authentication errors. We are logged into the machine as the administrator and the same domain administrator that the BES services are started with. By Default, MSDE is installed with Windows authentication, but what do we do if we cannot connect to it with any domain administrator account?

I've tried connecting to it with SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager and that won't work either.

You should upgrade from MSDE.

Can you connect via EM using mixed authentication?

-If it ain't broke, break it and make it better.

we have an annoying BES server here, as well. It is installed in our DMZ, so it only runs with the Shared Memory protocol, meaning we can not log into it remotely. Is this the problem you are facing, or are you logged into the BES server itself?

I'm trying to connect to it with Enterprise Manager so that I can setup the backups, reports etc.

I presume that you are connecting to a named instance with a connection string like the following?

servername\BESMgmt

Check which account in services.msc is running sql and try with that. Have you tried with a local admin account?

Check that allow remote connections is enabled + protocol that you are using (as above is shared memory only enabled, in which case you will need to be doing this on the box)

Correct me if I'm way off the mark here, but I thought backups etc. had to be done via a TSQL job in MSDE? I don't think you would be able to use a maintenance plan - it would need to be a job (which the MSDE SQL Agent can run), but with TSQL steps?

HTH

M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back