Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect to modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Apr 23, 2006
US
I just moved to a new location and the laptop I use for all my business, IBM Thinkpad, cannot connect to the Internet. I have a Motorola modem in this location and there is nothing wrong with the modem as I can get online if I connect it to my spare laptop. What is strange is I can get online in other locations with my IBM Thinkpad laptop so cannot understand why I cannot get online with it here. I have tried all the usual fixes such as turning off and restarting the modem and computer, pinging the computer but nothing works. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Can you ping the modem?

Do you have a router/WAP between the modem and Thinkpad? If so, can you ping that?

Have you released and renewed your IP address? ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew

At a command line type ipconfig/all and post the output here.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

What model is it? Is it IBM or Lenovo ? Does it have think vantage connections on it, and did you try setting a new connection? Does it connect if you use the lan (wired) port?

The above guys pretty much have it lined out. My main question would be, are you getting the proper subnet and DNS servers and/or IP under ipconfig? What does an ipconfig /all say on your other laptop that works? Compare to the IBM/Lenovo..

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back