Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot connect to https sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiijjiit

Technical User
Mar 18, 2003
US
I am not behind any fire walls so I know it is not that. Im running W2k Pro. I use Internet Exp. Have always had problems downloading the Win Updates.
Someone please help. I need to be able to go to secured sites, my banking and some of my work sites are secured.

The version of Internet Explorer would help. Go to "Help -> About" to find out.

IE 5.0x had problems with expired SSL certificates. IE 5.5 with SP2 or higher should run fine. Just make sure the cipher strength under "Help -> About" says 128-bit.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

it is IE 6.0 with what looks like SP1 and the sipher strength is 128bit.

Are you using a proxy server??

I Hate Spammers and Flammers!!!

Run a quick test for me. Go to and click the icon in the lower-right that reads "Verisign Secure Site: Click to Verify". A second window should pop up showing Certificate Status as VALID.

If you cannot get that far, then something is blocking SSL or "private header information".

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

I went to the link you gave cdogg and it wouldnt go.I am not doing anything different than I have in the last year. No firewalls or proxy servers.

What kind of connection are you on? Dial-up, broadband, VPN, your company's network?

Does the connection go directly into your PC, or do you have some kind of router or PC that the connection goes thru first?

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Reset your security settings to default.
Add the sites to the trusted site list.

Try going to the site through the try private surfing for free address bar at this site (top of the page at that site). If this works it is possibly ISP specific problems.

I can tell this problem has an answer but it is much more in depth than a simple answer,if anyone has the time to explain a few things for me to try it would be a help. I think I have an idea but I dont know to much about https/isp's/security/cipher strenght's/service packs and all that.can i just delet the whole IE and reload it or is it something with my nic card language. I do have another computer I use as a server but it works fine. I have high speed wireless internet (2.4ghz) which I get off a tower outside my house into my server running win 98 wich is run through a linksys swich to my win 2000pro machine. my 2000 pro is the one that will not go to secured sites. I cant even get on yahoo.I know it has somthing to do with the security or the way my conpputer registers to others. help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back