Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect to database from windows server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdavenport

Programmer
Sep 27, 2007
US
Hello,
I need to access a Unidata database residing on an AIX unix server using CF from a Windows server. I currently access this same db/server from CF on my linux server with no problem. I set up the new datasource in CF Admin on the windows server using the same parameters I use on my linux server:

JDBC URL =
jdbc:ibm-u2://<servername>//datatel/coll18/production/apphome;dbmstype=UNIDATA;
DRIVER CLASS = com.ibm.u2.jdbc.UniJDBCDriver
DRIVER NAME = UniJDBC

and put in the same username and password that I use from the Linux. The datasource will not verify, I get this error:

Connection verification failed for data source: hb2504_colleague
java.sql.SQLException: Timed out trying to establish connection
The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: Timed out trying to establish connection

The network administrator says that the windows server and AIX server ARE able to communicate and there is no firewall in the way. If this is not a network issue, is there any other cause? Do I need to change the parameters in the
datasource since it is a windows server? (the unijdbc driver was installed on the windows server and then CF service was restarted).

thanks much for any help,
Julie

Hi Julie,

have you made sure that the JDBC driver (com.ibm.u2.jdbc.UniJDBCDriver) is installed and available to JRUN??

We never fail, we just find that the path to succes is never quite what we thought...

Thank you for your reply. We did have to install the JDBC driver because before this error message we were getting an error that no suitable driver was available. After we installed the driver we started getting this "timed out" error. Our network and system administrators eventually determined that there was a problem between the coldfusion, java, and JDBC on the server, so we are using an ODBC connection instead, and it is working.

Julie,

have you tried to copy the JAR file containing the Driver to the correct folder under JRUN??

e.g. make sure that the JAR file is available in:
* Server Configuration: Place the jar in cf_root/* J2EE Configuration: Place the jar in cf_web_root/WEB-INF/lib

And have you checked the case of your driver name?

Anyways keep trying the JDBC it's not impossible and it'll be faster and more reliable than ODBC :)

We never fail, we just find that the path to succes is never quite what we thought...

Bammy217, I am still trying to get the JDBC to work. I think the driver may be in the wrong place. Those locations you gave, would they be the same whether a linux server or a windows server? It is a windows server we are trying to get working. (On my linux server it already works, and I have my unijdbc.jar file in <cf_root>/thanks,
Julie

It should be, depends if it's a multi-instance server or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back