Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect to C: on Media Center PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2002
US
Hi,

I've got a PC with Media Center 2005. I'm trying to map a drive to C$ on the PC, but I can't. What happens is I get prompted for a password, even if I use "connect with another user name" and supply a valid local username and password on the media center PC.

Obviously I can resolve the name, because I don't get "computer not found", and I can PING the PC just fine by name.

By the way, I've NEVER been able to do this - I had a hard drive crash, and had to reinstall MCE a couple of months ago, and I couldn't do it before or after the reinstall.

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Try disabling any Wirewall you might have running (including the Windows firewall) and trying again - this will determine whether the firewall is at fault or whether there is something else wrong

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could be a permissions thing. Try creating a new, regular share instead of using the administrative share.

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back