Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect to any other network besides the one in my home! :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

gobluegal

Technical User
Oct 1, 2003
US
Please help! I have insightbb cable modem service and a linksys wireless access point router (BEFW11S4). I have two desktops connected with ethernet cords and one laptop that is connected with a linksys wireless card. This set-up works perfectly and all the computers can connect through it. However, I take my laptop to another location (a library with a wireless network for public or to my friend's wired router network) and I CANNOT connect even though it works fine in my home. I'm running windows xp and when i do an ipconfig /all nothing shows up and the computer gets all confused when i'm on an outside network. Does anyone out there know what is happening? ALso....if i try to connect any of my computers DIRECTLY to my cable modem in my home network, it does the same thing and will not work. I am frustrated completely!

It sounds as if the computers are set for static IP addresses, rather than DHCP.

In the properties sheet for TCP/IP set the computers to "Obtain an IP address automaticly."

For your wireless connection you need to configure the SSID, channel and perhaps the WEP keys to match the different settings when you move the wireless laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back