Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect to any ODBC datasource with MS SQL Server data in crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgillz

Instructor
Mar 2, 2001
US
When I try to connect to or run an existing report using ODBC and MS SQL Server data,I am getting this series of errors:

Database Connector Error: IM006:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver’s SQLSetConnectAttr failed

Login Failed. Details HYT00:[Microsoft][ODBC Server Driver] Login timeout expired

This happens on all ODBC connections, OLE connections are fine. They fail if I use a trusted connection or enter SQL credentials including the sa user and password. Despite this, I can successfully query the same data in excel using the same ODBC connections that fail in Crystal.

I have a lot of legacy applications that I support that cannot use an OLE connection so I am at a loss here. Any insights appreciated.

Macola Software Veteran and SAP Business One Consultant on Training Wheels

Check out our Macola tools:

I have not had that issue and most of the reports I work on use an ODBC connection to MS-SQL databases. Do you have TOAD? If so, then you can check the ODBC connection that way.

Too bad. You could use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio to check to see if your credentials work. But you would not be going through the ODBC.

Whether or not Crystal will connect to SQL Server through ODBC depends on the version of the SQL Server client you have installed and the version of the database itself. If you did not install a SQL Server client, the one that is automatically installed with most versions of Windows is very old and won't work with more recent versions of SQL Server.

Also, which version of Crystal are you using (go to Help >> About and get the full version number)? The Crystal version will determine which versions of the ODBC client it will work with .

-Dell

Senior Manager, Data & Analytics
Protiviti

64 bit and 32 bit ODBC drivers are not the same and cannot be used interchangeably. Perhaps your Excel AND your ODBC drivers are both 64 bit along with your workstation. Then, of course, everything works just fine.

If however, your Crystal installation is 32 bit, then the 64 bit ODBC connection/datasource will not be "seen" by the program. You will need to go on a bit of a treasure hunt and set up a 32 bit ODBC connection to work with the 32 bit Crystal. In their wisdom, Microsoft has hidden the 32 bit ODBC setup odbcad32.exe under Windows/System32 and/or under Windows/SysWOW64.

So, everything may depend on your workstation/OS, your Office version, your Crystal version, and your ODBC drivers all being compatible.

Lyle
----
"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Arthur C. Clarke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back