Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect a XP PC to a Win2K domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcsundevil2002

IS-IT--Management
Oct 21, 2004
US
I am trying to connect 4 XP machines with SP2 to a 2000 domain. The domain is set to DHCP for IP Addressing. The machines all recieve the proper DHCP info and have properly assigned IP addresses. I can ping the DC and the DC can ping the machines, using both IP address and DNS names. I can map drives from the server to the PCs. However, I cannot join the domain. When I attempt to join the domain, I get the following message -

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The domain name WIA might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain WIA:

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.WIA

The following domain controllers were identified by the query:

tysons.wia

Common causes of this error include:

- Host (A) records that map the name of the domain controller to its IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.

- Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or are not running.

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

I have gone as far as adding the proper info to the PCs Host file and LMHost files and adding the PCs info in the Server's Host file, and still no joining to the domain. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back