Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot configure Exchange Agent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobcharles

Technical User
Apr 24, 2003
US
I am running Arcserve v9 on a Windows 2000 domain controller, and the Windows and Exchange agents on a Windows 2000 member server running Exchange 2000. I cannot configure the exchange agent to do bricklevel backups. Whenever I try to configure a new or existing domain account for the agent, I get "Failed to authenticate domainname\username". In arcserve manager, whenever I try to select bricklevel backup on the exchange server, I get "Backup Agent error -(92) Please configure the Exchange Agent before using this option". I have tried making Active Directory and the recipient update service update, and waited 0 to 30 minutes for it to configure like an article I read. No matter what I do, I cannot configure the exchange agent. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, all with no success. Does anyone have any ideas? Please help. Many thanks.

Bob

Hi
-> Create an user account (dbagent) in the Start-programs-administrative tools
-Active Directory users and computers-right click on users and select "New User".

-> choose user cannot change password and password never expires
-> Make the user a member of administrators, backup operators and domain administrators. Set the domain admins as the primary group. Remove domain users and server operators group for dbagent if it is present.

-> Add the advanced user rights for the user such as "Log on as a service, logon locally and act as a part of Operating System" in the domain security policy under administrative tools.

-> Make sure that the arcserve folder has been shared as arcserve$ and the permissions for that is admins-full control, backup operator-change, everyone- read.

-> If the exchange server is a member server and part of the domain, create the same user account locally in the member server and give the advanced userrights. Make the domain admins a member of local admins group in the member server.

-> Exchange 2000 gives the option to delegate control for Exchange objects in Active Directory. Right-click on the Organization name and use the DELEGATE CONTROL WIZARD and give the dbagent Exchange full administrator rights.

-> Log off and logon as the dbagent account in the exchange server system and install the backup agent for exchange.

regards,
mohamdr

When you say share the arcserve folder as arcserve$ do you mean the "c:\programfiles\ca\brightstor arcserve backup agent for exchange" folder on the exchange server or the one on the backup server itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back