Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot come out of standby

Status
Not open for further replies.

purepest

Technical User
Jun 22, 2004
GB
Hi

I have a vista machine that will not come out of standby, it has to be shutdown which isn't convenient if I have unsaved work sitting.

Has anyone got any ideas or come across this before?

Colin

I meant to say that I have checked the graphics drivers because this seems to be the main response to this problem on the internet.

Also, the machine in question runs the same driver as mine and I don't have the problem.

Have you checked the chipset drivers - not graphics? The chipset handles the main things with the motherboard, CPU, etc.

Also, check to see if there are any BIOS updates for your motherboard - perhaps it's a known issue.

Another couple things would be some basic system clean-up type tasks. Specifically, there's a hibernation file that gets created. You could try clearing it out, and then resetting that to see if it helps.

And another thought comes to mind - I'd wonder if you have any security software that happens to be blocking some important piece from kicking off when you attempt to resume Windows.

Any clues in this, or the older articles?

How to troubleshoot performance issues with standby, hibernate, and resume in Windows Vista

How to Troubleshoot Problems with Standby Mode, Hibernate Mode, and Shutting Down Your Computer in Windows 2000

HOW TO: Troubleshoot Problems When You Are in a Standby or Hibernate State and When You Shut Down Your Computer in Windows Server 2003

Resources for troubleshooting startup problems in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back