Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Change IPv4 Connection from Local to Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGShack

Vendor
Aug 16, 2012
US
thread1583-1584785

I had this same problem as was referenced in the above thread number more than once. If it has the wrong IP, it will say LOCAL instead of Internet. Try this solution:

1. Open Network connections
2. Right click the connection giving you trouble
3. Click properties
4. Networking tab will be defaulted
5. Highlight Protocol Version4 (TCP/IPv4)
6. Now click properties again
7. Now tick the box, "find IP address automatically and find DNS IP automatically"

I think Vista is defaulted to set the IP by typing it in. If it changes and it will, you will need to type it in or go to the auto detect setting.

If you're still working on this (just now looking at it myself), I'd suggest trying this for starters:
[ol 1]
[li]Click Start button[/li]
[li]Type device manager, and select it when it shows in list (alternatively, right-click on Computer, select properties, then click Device Manager on left).[/li]
[li]Look for Network adapters, and find your network adapter listed there - it may just be listed as a generic LAN or 10/100 or some such connection. If you have another one that you're not using, such as a firewall network adapter, just right-click and disable that one... the one you don't use.[/li]
[li]For the one you are using, that's giving troubles, right-click on it, select Uninstall, if/when prompted to delete/remove the driver, make sure that option is UNCHECKED. You do NOT want to delete the driver at this point.[/li]
[li]Tell it yes, you're sure you want to remove it if asked... Yes or OK, I forget..[/li]
[li]Once it's finished, right-click on any item in the list and select Scan for hardware changes or similar - I forget whether Vista is same as Win7 or not.[/li]
[li]Give it some time to see if it detects the card, shows an active connection, etc... once looks like it's done, try connecting to the internet with Internet Explorer, specifically. I say IE, b/c it's got some additional built-in auto-repair type functions for Internet Access.[/li]
[/ol]

Give that a shot and see if you get any solutions from it. If not, there are still more things to try. [thumbsup2]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Also... one more thing I just thought about - the issue could be at the modem or router level, not the adapter/PC level, as well. Given that you say it's only giving you local instead of Internet. This can also occur sometimes when you lose the Internet connection coming TO your computer.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back