Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot change display properties despite being logged in as an admin 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loknar

Technical User
May 13, 2003
US
For some reason win xp won't let me change the resolution on my gfx card from 800 x 600 (GF4 Ti4200 128mb) the problem started when i had my pc running from a tv using the tv-out connection. the monitor and card are both capable of supporting higher resolutions, and have done so before. the error i receive is "The display control panel is unable to change the display settings. You may not have appropriate administrative rights to change these settings" i have tried to change it logged in as Administrator but i get the same message o_O. any ideas?

Are you logging in a local admin or domain admin? If the latter, makes sure Domain Admins are a memeber of the local admins group.

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

I'm logged in as a local admin (using the default admin account, which i checked still does have admin privelages) and im not joined to a domain on this machine.

First, make sure that you do not have a group policy restriction that prevents anyone other than a Domain administrator from changing the settins.

Some things to try:

Using regedit:

HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Right click in the right pane and select New, DWord value. Name the new value NoDispCPL. Double click the new value and set it to 0 (zero).

HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\Explorer

Add a new DWORD value NoSaveSettings with a value of 0 (zero).

I am curious, do you have issues with Control Panel applets at all?

bcastner: i checked the policies and there is no restrictions set, and i tried those reg entries, and they didn't work. funny enough i havent had any trouble with any of the other control panel applets, all this started when i used my tv as the only display (windows has correctly identified that im not using the tv anymore, because i thought that would have prevented me changing the res)

Try:

Start, run, runas /user:computername\Administrator "rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl"

bcastner: the runas seemed to work, but for some reason i still can't change the settings when logged in as the built in administrator account :/

We know now it is not a permissions issue. What is becoming increasingly more likely is just a funky driver installation.

Download the newest set of drivers for the machine and apply them, or roll-back the drives and re-apply the new set.

I re-installed the detonator drivers and all is now well. Thanx for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back