Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Browse Using 95/98 Network Neighbourhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabjac

Programmer
Sep 5, 2001
GB
Hi All,

I've got a bit of a problem an I was wondering if anyone could help.

Currently we have a domain where the PDC is a Windows NT 4.0 Server. Within the ip address/subnet structure i.e., (192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 -> 192.168.1.250/255.255.255.0)
we have a Windows 95/98 Workgroup.

My problem is that recently (within the last 2-3 working days), the workgroup cannot be browsed using Network Neighbourhood where previously it could. Nothing on either the domain or the workgroup network has changed.

Can anyone shed some light?

1. First, the PDC must be pingable from all stations. If the PDC is not pingable by any station, then check the network conection to PDC and it's network configuration (same network root adress, same netmask).
2. Then, see if you can use the command Start/Find/Computer/<PDC name> to find the PDC computer from a well conected station
3. If you find the PDC, then try to find the same way another station. If you don't find another one, then check your WINS state (not active??). If you do, then check your browser service on the PDC (not active??). See list on services on the PDC's Control Panel/Services
4. If you don't find the PDC, check on the PDC: WINS service, Browser service, Domain name=Workgroup name, and on stations domain name=workgroup name, corect WINS settings, correct IP settings.
5. Try (where it is possible) to assign in BIOS a higher priority to the network adapters IRQ: try to configure MANUALLY resources, force NO irq for VGA, disable IRQ11 for PCI/PNP and force IRQ10 for network.
Good luck!
Gicutale

This FAQ could help. It's about Master Browser Issues:

faq96-3728

&quot;In space, nobody can hear you click...&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back