Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot browse ping or connect to Router etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pebo

Technical User
Aug 8, 2004
GB
Hi Guys, hope someone can help me with a really frustrating problem!!! Tried everything I know (which is quite limited :) )

I have a Dell running W2k and have this networked via a router Netgear DG 834 to a W98 running clone, amd both access net via ADSL line.

My Dell is no longer able to communicate with the router via Http addy, cannot ping any address apart from local host and own NW card.

I have tried connecting to net via modem, and can connect to the service provider but cannot browse or ping.

Have tried un instlling and swapping out NW card, reinstalling TCP/IP, changing IP addy, changing cable to router, different port on router etc. Whatever I do ...zilch! Gut feeling that this is to do with inability to pick up DHCP data from router etc but don't understand why cannot browse when directly connected via modem, and my knowledge is too limited to sort out the problem.

The W98 machine can see the router, and can connect to net via the same modem...grrrr!

Many Thanks,
Peter

Sounds like a corrupt stack - try this Winsock Fix (zip file) (from faq779-4625).

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Thanks manarth, tried it this morning and also Spybot, and no difference :-(

Router --- Internet
|
Srvr ---- Win98

-------------------------------
Hi!
If I understand correct your configuration should be like the diagram above.
The Win98 connects fine to Internet and the server can not

1.Can you check what is the IP config of the Win98 machine ("ipconfig /all" from command propmt or winipcfg)?
2.Specify Static IP for the server (use the same gateway, subnet mask, DNS server and a different IP from the same subnet).
3.Change the speed of the NIC from auto to 10Half (some of the new Gb NICs cannot negotiate auto the speed to the cheap routers with embedded switch).
4.Reboot the server or disable and enable the server NIC.
5.Try to ping the IP of the Win98, Gateway and if the ping works - some external IP (like cisco.com - 198.133.219.25)

Tell us what happened.

NetoMeter

Thanks Netometer. You are correct with the configuration. Have tried specifying IP addy/DNS and Sub net, but nothing. Will try rest tonight when I get back from work.
P

Hi Netometer,
Tried all of the above with not much luck.
IP of w98 machine is as it should be 192.168.02 From here I can ping the router fine, but not other machine.
Tried specifying IP,DNS and Sub net on the w2k machine and swapping NIC to 10mps. Pinging the router I got time out although before this I was getting unreachable, although I do not fully understand the difference between the two messages.

Any other ideas much appreciated,
Cheers,
Peter

Well problem is solved now. Unfortunately never did find out what it was, so wiped hard disk and rebuilt from scratch.:-( .
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back