Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot browse after System Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

msammut

MIS
Jan 6, 2003
CA
I have had to perform an automated System Recovery (XP Home) on a 6 month old Compaq desktop system due to system files missing. This included a format, OS installation and application installation to put the PC back to it's original configuration. The system recovery went excellent and I reinstalled all my apps. Problem is I cannot browse on the internet. When I try I get "Internet Explorer could not open the search page". I have turned off the Windows firewall, I have removed all of the Norton Antivirus program, I have had my ISP ping my IP successfully and I can ping anyone successfully without any loss. There are 2 other PC's hooked to the same modem via ethernet and they can browse fine. I cannot browse in both Internet Explorer or netscape. DHCP, proxy..are all set to automatically detect. There are no errors or warnings in Device Manager. With the same wiring I can hook up to a different computer and browse. Any ideas?

msammut

Have you tried deleting all temp files, cookies, and history? Also, open a command prompt (Start> Run> type cmd) and type ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter, then type ipconfig /registerdns and hit enter. See if the problem still occurs. I doubt these will solve your problems, but are a start.

Other than that I would try to reset the winsock catalog. Try either of these methods. WinSock XP Fix automates the process for you. But, if you are running XP w/ SP2 it is recommended that you use the netsh winsock reset command. To do this go Start> Run> type cmd> when the command prompt opens type netsh winsock reset and hit enter. I think you will be asked to restart the machine to complete the process. Do so and see if the problem is solved.

Joey
A+, Network+, MCP, Wireless#

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back