Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mu85

MIS
Sep 6, 2006
GB
For the last few days now i have not been able to boot my pc. It gets to the XP splash page and just hangs there, i then reboot it and can boot it succesfully into last known working config...but as soon as i reboot again it doesnt work, even if i dont change anything.

Any help/ideas would be much appreciated.

Try repairing your installation on Windows XP, by booting from the CD using WinXP, then choose the repair option.

Regards
Bobby

I have tried this and it worked fine for 2 maybe 3 reboots but now its just doing the same again......any more ideas?

1. Slave your drive out to another machine and back up all data.
2. Run checkdisk and do a remote registry repair using a bootable cd.
3. If the computer still does not boot try running SpinRite.
4. If that fails try and ghost your drive and buy a new hard drive and drop your image onto the new drive.

Have you tried booting into safe mode and disabling startup items? type msconfig into run command and click on startup tab. Take checks out of items you know you don't need booting up or click disable all to see if you can boot into windows normally.

May not help you, but worth a try.

rlb

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

Check your RAM for faults.

314503 - Computer Stops Responding with a Black Screen When You Start Windows

HOW TO: Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back